Monday, July 11, 2011

Class 1: Welcome to ED422!!


Just some of the exciting things we will learn!
Welcome to the rest of your summer filled with EDUC 422. . .Technology Tools for Education. As a summer school class, this will be a fast-paced whirlwind of information and introduction to new technology tools that can not only be incorporated into your classroom, but into your life! It will be challenging and amazingly fun at the same time. . .

I will use this blog to keep everyone updated on the requirements for the course, as well as model for you how to create a blog for your future classroom!  I need you to read each entry carefully, as I will be giving away $50 a week to the person who finds the hidden gnome on the post. . .okay, not really, but I need everyone to read each entry ;-)

Technical Issues:  
First order of business:  If you do not have a Gmail Address/Account, you need to get one!  (and no, your CSUSM email does not count).  Don't worry, I have worked it out with Google to give you free email accounts!
You will be asked to join and/or participate in a number of web-based tools, software, etc. . .I recommend that you find a single user name that identifies you, is appropriate for school/parents, and that you can remember. . .also one that you can be relatively certain won't be taken when you attempt to use it for a new tool/site. 
While this course has no required text, you will be required to subscribe to ISTE, the International Society for Technology in Education (see link on this blog), as well as purchase a subscription to TaskStream, an online portfolio generator.  
For TaskStream (also linked on this blog): You will need to self-enroll in the Local TPE.      
     
                                         Here is the code you will need:
                                               Local TPE: 6SG3BA
                                              

I will also ask you questions on this blog that you will need to answer. Some are related to education and most are related you your lives. . .It allows me to build community while ensuring that you are reading the weekly posts!


Class 1 ToDo List 

Click HERE to give me your gmail and blog address! 
 
Question:  What should every teacher know about you? 

24 comments:

  1. Hello, My name is Thao, something every teacher should know about me, I like to take pictures, mostly random candids of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in history and culture. I have done some traveling around the world and where I have not traveled physically I try to travel through books and other vessels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love working with children and teachers to create the best educational program possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that every teacher should know that I try really hard to do my best in everything especially school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strive to do well in my classes, and I look forward to learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look like a High School Student. I am NOT a High School Student.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hardworking, play soccer, and can't wait to be a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love working with children and watching them accomplish new things. I am pretty quiet, but like trying new things and working with others. I am excited to start the credential program soon and look forward to having my own classroom someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very important to me that my teachers know how focused and driven I am to achieve my goals. I am a natural leader and I love to participate. I am somewhat a control freak. It is important to me to reach my goals as fast and efficiently as possible because I don't have a lot of free time and I don't like to wast it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am mostly quiet and reserved, but definitely not lacking in dedication. I am always ready to learn, and am excited to start my journey into education. I don't want my shyness to ever come off as indifferent, unfriendly, or apathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a BS in Kinesiology and am working on obtaining a master's in Speech-language pathology.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy writing during my free time and painting when I get a chance. I love languages. I have seven siblings so that makes me number five. I love food specifically Italian and middle eastern food. I can't wait to finally teach :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy learning but I am never the first student to understand a concept being taught. In other words, I need to hear the instruction multiple times in order for me to understand academic concepts. I am the type of student who is not the first to share their ideas but if no one else speaks up I will answer even if I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I come off as shy... but be patient, I soon will not be shy any more...;]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a special education teacher, it's my passion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thrive on organization and deadlines from instructors. If I know what needs to be done and when, I'll get it done. If not, I'll be bugging you for those answers : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a one and half year old and he is my motivation to do well in school and work hard toward a career that I will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like to learn and I am passionate about teaching. I am also a hard worker and try to do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been teaching for 26 years. So why am I here? Teachers are always learning and exploring new ways to educate our students. Technology is their future!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love to learn. I am hardworking, driven and always have a plan. I am also not technologically savvy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Im Michelle, I am an identical twin, a wife, a dog mom & am partial to Mac's :) I am looking forward to being a special education teacher, and am excited to learn about new technology that can help my future students. I can navigate the web and know the basics of email/facebook/twitter but I know there is a lot more I can take into my classroom, so Im very excited about this course!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will usually always speak my mind and am ready for a challenge. I appreciate when teachers are personal and show how much they care. I will always succeed if I am believed in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love editing and photography! It is my dream to help improve my students' writing by becoming a high school english teacher and helping out on the school newspaper or yearbook.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to learn and I find that turning assignments in online versus turning in a physical copy saves me a lot of stress :)

    ReplyDelete