Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Class 8: Hoping Your New Tech Skills Stick!


Velcro Zoe!

I can't believe this is the end of the fourth week.  I am happy to report that, besides the remaining TaskStream narratives, the assignments tonight will be your last new ones!  You will be learning how to edit on iMovie tonight as you create a public service announcement (PSA) for our lovely campus.  After our discussion of the NETS-T standards last class, I have decided that I would really like for you all to research and discover some of the amazing assistive technology that exists for our students with special needs.  Thao and I have been discussing the requirements and I believe we (and by we, I mean Thao ;-) have come up with an activity that will become Journal 9!  I will post it after I review it one more time and get some feedback from our other current special education teachers!

Hopefully, you all brought headphones this evening as the editing process will require music and I don't want 25 computers blaring volume all evening!  I trust that everyone was able to remember. . .right?

I have edited all of the NETS-I collaborative narratives at least twice. . .my expectation is that you will put them on TaskStream in class tonight.  I will show you how to transfer them in as well as how to put a link to the shared GoogleDoc that you and your partner used!  This is something new I am trying this term.  Since you have already brainstormed your artifacts for NETS II - V, it would be a great idea to start at least a rough draft of the remaining NETS–hey, you can even use your Inspiration mind map to guide you! The earlier you can finish them, the more feedback you will receive!

Assignments:  The PLN was due yesterday, The CyberSaftey site is due this Friday, and journals 6-10, Inspiration, and iMovie are due on Monday.  Please talk to me if you have any questions.  If you missed class on Monday, please ask a classmate to review what you missed.  If time permits this evening, I will revisit the emerging technology checklist to answer any questions you might have about how to get your assignments embedded on your blog. . .

Question:  What has been your most challenging assignment in class so far and why?

25 comments:

  1. Surprisingly, the NETS narrative has been the most challenging assignment for me. I would assume it would be something that involved more use of technology. I feel very limited with the NETS narratives in what to say, so much to the point where I kind of draw a blank. When I write I tend to blab, and it may take a while but it helps me get to the point. I guess I don't like feeling limited in what I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nicole, the NETS narrative has been a difficult assignment. There is something about the style of writing, having to link it with the standard that makes it challenging. To bad we have to write more, hopefully I will become a better writer because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NETS. For whatever reason I cant get it to a satisfactory point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The PLN...specifically Twitter. I'm not really conscious of my Twitter existence so I haven't been using it as much as I should. But the hour I participated in a chat really blew my mind with what is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with most people. The NETS narrative is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prezi & the NETS-T narratives! Prezi is something Im just going to have to keep working with, playing around with the presentation we made for class and maybe making another one for fun starting from scratch and playing around with the settings. As for the NETS, as a writer I tend to be "wordy" so its hard for me to say exactly what Im thinking in 2 sentences! Hopefully this will become easier as I settle into writing II-V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NETS narrative by far. I have an English degree and it's hard to switch gears from writing that relies more on detailed descriptive prowess and switch to something that is so technical and specific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also struggled with the PLN (Twitter). Twitter is something I really doubt I'll use. On the flip side. I love the DIIGO tag roll. I know I'll invest time into that and really utilize it in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The NETS paragraph. I cant get the Blue section (WHY) down to 3 sentences and it is driving me crazy! Form writing is not my strong suit. But I am hopeful that I will get it done...eventually

    ReplyDelete
  10. The NETS narratives have been tough for me also, due to the technical writing style. I stopped writing like that since my thesis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you really need to ask??????!!!!!!! The 100 things I like the most.. Haha, no it has to be the NETS I Narratives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like everyone else, the NETS. It requires a lot of time and thought. It is tedious and the fact that they are one of the most important assignments thus far kind of freaks me out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For me, I'm having trouble getting myself to trust the concept of the PLN. I feel uncomfortable following people I do not actually know. How do I know they are who they say they are?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been struggling with the narratives and the journals are just time consuming and not my favorite to do at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have to say the PLN has been the most challenging for me. I have spent numerous hours trying to figure out all the necessary components of this assignment and I still feel very confused.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything... I'm going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The most challenging assignment would probably be the PLN for me as well. I agree with Stephanie that I don't see myself using Twitter. I think the PLN for me is the most challenging because for me it is the most time consuming which is probably why I don't see myself using Twitter. I do believe the social bookmarking will be a useful tool for me in the future as well. But definitely all the assignments have been challenging because of how much time they require and in summer school time is not on our side.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Twitter and the PLN have been my biggest challenge. The chats are very informative and some have been inspiring, but I have a hard time putting myself "out there" in the cyber world. I'm not a Facebooker or My Spacer and I haven't gotten comfortable with having my info or thoughts online for everyone to see. Keeping it limited to education and work will help, since it's not personal, but I'm still adjusting : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything, remember, I am an immigrant and a senior citizen as well. I get heart palpitations before every class.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not very tech savvy, so almost everything is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The NETS assignment...I don't seem to understand the formatting completely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As like most of the other students, definitely the NETS have been the most frustrating aspect of this class.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like many others, the NETS narratives have been pretty challenging. Prezi also took a while for me to get a hang of, but it is a pretty cool tool to use.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The NETS-T was the most frustrating. It was hard to be so concise. The Cyberbullying website also took a while since my Spanish is rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought the PLN was the most challenging because of learning how to create a network, bookmarking, choosing who your network members will be, and then giving a description of why. It is all very specific.

    ReplyDelete